Summer Rudd

01:32 Lewis Gaukrodger 1 Comments

Its been a while since my last update, partially due to me not picking up a rod from the end of the closed season through to the beginning of June.

However I am now back into the swing of things. Before the rivers opened I turned my attention to targeting rudd in a small water close to work, quick 30min sessions here and there often comprising of only 3/4 casts. I initially started using large pieces of floating crust however these were soon engulfed by a bait ball of smaller fish. Overcoming this I started to compress white bread into 10mm sized balls and fish 1ft under the surface. This picked out the bigger fish and I landed numerous good rudd and roach and of course some hybrids to what i now believe were in excess of 2lb. 


However typically when I remembered my scales the bigger fish didn't show though I still manged to pick up a decent one or two. The fish below was taken on a cube of bratwurst sausage again fished 1ft under the surface close to a bed of lily pads, she weighed in at 1-01 and was the first rudd I had actually ever weighed so its a new PB in the book. She undoubtedly was much smaller than a couple of fish I had caught previously. But hey that's fishing and I have learnt the school boy error of forgetting the scales the hard way.




1 comment :

  1. Well done Lewis, cracking Rudd.

    Darren.

    http://www.northeastpiker.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete